The Letters Q and U

Have you played Bogglebefore? Did you notice that the Q always comes with the letter U? This dynamic duo may seem inseparable but the truth is that the Q is not useless without the U. There are still a lot of words where the Q can stand alone. These are:

FAQIRs
QABALAs
QABALAHs
QADIs
QAIDs
QANATs
QATs
QIs
QINDARs
QINDARKA
QINTARs
QOPHs
QWERTYs
SHEQELs
TRANQs

Try to memorize them if you can. It is important to know these words because in a Scrabble game, there are only 4 U's and 2 blanks. Therefore, the chances of having a Q and a U or a blank in your rack are slim.

It is also beneficial to familiarize the words where the letter U doesn't come right after the letter Q. Take these for example:

BUQSHAs
QIVIUTs
UMIAQs
SUQs

Got more words to contribute? Just leave a comment. Thank you!

4 comments:

FaYe said...

HI!
i had boggle and scrabble and other board games. i played boggle and scrabble before when i was in the phils. i even had scrabble dictionary. i like board games.

Sannydrops said...

Hi Faye, glad to know you also play boggle and scrabble. I also like board games, word games, puzzles, and other mind games. Hope you had a wonderful time here in the Phils.

Karen Henry said...

I just found your blog today. I've been a Scrabble player since I was a child, but never seriously enough to memorize word-lists or anything like that.

The mention of Q-words made me smile, thinking of a game I played with my then-8-year-old niece about three years ago. She played the word QUIZ, in such a way that she somehow managed to end up with 96 points (!) (Obviously it was on a triple word score.)

She being only in 2nd grade at the time, and me with a reputation of being the family Scrabble champion from a very young age, naturally my niece was delighted, and I was half-embarrassed (that I hadn't seen that one coming) but also very proud of her. I fought my way back (no longer going easy on her!) to end the game more or less in a tie. I told her afterward that she should tell her teacher that she "likes quizzes". :-)

Karen Henry
Outlandish Observations

Sannydrops said...

Cute story! Hope your niece continues to play Scrabble. 96 points is definitely a thumbs up! I assume the Q or the Z was on the double letter score aside from the triple word score.